Tuesday, December 25, 2012

So Much Technology!

Merry Christmas!  I hope that all of you had a fantastic Christmas- wherever you are in the world- surrounded by friends, family, or just people you love!

It's still raining here in the Bay Area...apparently it snowed ~5ft in Tahoe these past few days.  I really hope I get to go skiing soon, because that sounds AMAZING.  For all my LA friends, my roommate is driving me back to LA, and I'm going to bring my skis, so let's go every single weekend ok? Awesome.

Christmas really is one of my favorite times of the year.  Everyone is just so happy and friendly and festive.  It's one of those holidays (other than Halloween) that people really get into.  And as I'm one of the cheesiest people ever, that just makes me so happy.  I would love Halloween more, but I'm a humongous chicken, so it's hard to really enjoy anything while being terrified of being eaten by a zombie.  Watching Ellen's haunted hallway on Halloween in the comfort of my own bed was enough to give me heebie-jeebies.  so no thanks, Halloween, I think I'll stick with Christmas.



Our new neighbors this year put up a large front yard display, complete with reindeer and a two story light tree, along with a light up sign that says "Tune in to 88.9".  After a few days, I came to the realization that the christmas channel 88.9 is LOCATED INSIDE THEIR HOME, and that the light show syncs with the music.  Mind. Blown.

This led me to think about how incredible technology is these days - ipads, computers, cell phones, etc - and how reliant we are on everything.  As many of you know, my phone died on me this past week, so I've pretty much been living out of my computer.  There were so many little things that I had to adjust to, and I never realized just HOW much I use my phone on a daily basis.  Here are just a few of the things that have changed in my life since having a smart phone:

1) Using my phone as an alarm clock: Having your only reliable source of time, and the only thing that gets you out of bed in the morning die two days before your exam really is not a fun experience.  So I went to Target to buy one of those small alarm clocks, but once I came home in the evening, I realized that I had bought AA rather than the AAA batteries that the clock needed.  So, I scoured the apartment and realized that there was NOTHING IN OUR APARTMENT THAT USED BATTERIES!  So the first night, I set my "internal clock" to wake up for the next morning's review session.  I basically told myself right before I fell asleep that I was going to wake up in seven hours.  Surprisingly, this worked!  The next day, my classmate told me about these online alarm clocks that you can set on your computer.  However, my laptop installed updates in the middle of the night and restarted, which turned out to be a fail and I had to rely on my internal clock anyways.  Don't ask me why I didn't just go buy some AAA batteries for the alarm clock.

2) Using my phone as a music player:  When I went running, I felt super vintage because I had to dig up my old iPod Shuffle (yes, I have the original one circa 2005), and use my analog wristwatch to check the time and listen to music.  I'm pretty sure that the last time I updated my ipod shuffle was sometime prior to 2010, but I really enjoyed listening to songs by Green Day, Lady Gaga (Fame album), and there was also some Britney/Backstreet Boys on it too!

3) Using it as a social media device: After a week, I'm still having a little bit of withdrawal (edit: a lot), but I miss not being able to check in on foursquare everywhere I go!  Also, I can't seem to figure out how to look at other people's instagram on my computer!  Although, now, when I wake up in the mornings, I can't check my phone, so I usually just get out of bed.  It's so productive that I get an extra 10 minutes every morning hah

4) Probably most important, Using my phone as a source of  communication!  It was definitely a little difficult to get picked up to go back home, and not have a phone, but we made it work!  Also, since I only use Google Voice to text, I have to wait until I get home to text people or respond to texts, which is not particularly efficient.

After this week, I'm kind of thinking about reactivating the texting plan on my phone, but  hopefully my new phone will be super reliable and not die randomly a year and a half in (I PROMISE I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING LIKE DROP IT ON THE FLOOR OR IN THE WATER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT).
But hopefully my phone will arrive tomorrow, and I can just go back to being a hopelessly addicted smartphone user.  Does anyone else have the Samsung Galaxy S3?  I'm super excited to be able to bump phones and share playlists, videos, and photos with you if you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment